There have been several members of the clergy in the family, as follows:
, priest, of Slaidburn, Lancs, was referred to in Early
Chancery 1500-1515. His name is missing from the list of rectors in the parish
, Clerk, was sued for goods in 1533-1538 [1600/1?] by
, Yeoman of Norwell Woodhouse, Notts.
was a [chantry?] priest at Todwick [nr
, rector of Hemingby, near Horncastle, Lincs 1594-1597, of
Bristol 1602/3 and of Compton Martin, Somerset 1605-1613
(see separate section)
His name is in the lists of rectors at both Hemingby and Compton Martin. (1604 - Fourth from the bottom on the left hand list). He is
also referred to in 1609 as a clerk at Islington, London.
was a preacher with the East India Company 1605-1614 and
went to Java.
was presented to Bilsthorpe rectory, Notts in 1613. Chancery
Proceedings were taken out against him around 1621/5 by Peter Broughton for the
manor and rectory, so presumably he was rector for about ten years, then refused
to relinquish the benefice and house.
, was ordained deacon in London on 17.2.1705. Became vicar
of Edlington, near Horncastle, Lincs from 25.3.1709 under the patronage of Queen
Anne. Also c. (curate?) of nearby Thimbleby. Succeeded at Edlington, probably
after his death, by Henry Best, who was appointed 21.10.1755 under the patronage
of King George II. Presumably this benefice was under the patronage of the
reigning monarch. It is not known whether his name appears on lists of rectors
in either of these churches.
Saunderson Turner Sturtevant
erected Preston Chapel at Norwell in 1827. In
his spare time from being a London Tallow Melter he was a Methodist Minister,
and was the author of "The Preacher's Manual", first published in 1828 in two
volumes, and reprinted in 1834, 1838 and 1866.